GoGuides Verified Text
ANGUIER
SHA-256 integrity check: match
Source
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911) / britannica_1911
License
public_domain
Chunk ID
1911:anguier:1a8a64748982
Section
Hash Algorithm
sha256
Stored Hash
a31fbeae0f108de5e7474692aca32f8b9f45928ec064195eb5f1cf0bb5ecb282
Computed Hash
a31fbeae0f108de5e7474692aca32f8b9f45928ec064195eb5f1cf0bb5ecb282
Normalizer
ggnorm 1.0
Observed
2026-02-08 18:42:19
Source URL
Verified Text
anguier, francois (c. 1604-1669), and michel (1612-1686), french sculptors, were two brothers, natives of eu in normandy. their apprenticeship was served in the studio of simon guillain. the chief works of francois are the monument to cardinal de berulle, founder of the carmelite order, in the chapel of the oratory at paris, of which all but the bust has been destroyed, and the mausoleum of henri ii., last duc de montmorency, at moulins. to michel are due the sculptures of the triumphal arch at the porte st. denis, begun in 1674, to serve as a memorial for the conquests of louis xiv. a marble group of the nativity in the church of val de grace was reckoned his masterpiece. from 1662 to 1667 he directed the progress of the sculpture and decoration in this church, and it was he who superintended the decoration of the apartments of anne of austria in the old louvre. f. fouquet also employed him for his chateau in vaux. see henri stein, _les freres anguier_ (1889), with catalogue of works, and many references to original sources; armand sanson, _deux sculpteurs normands: les freres anguier_ (1889).