GoGuides Verified Text
LAMPERTHEIM
SHA-256 integrity check: match
Source
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911) / britannica_1911
License
public_domain
Chunk ID
1911:lampertheim:607428de3287
Section
Hash Algorithm
sha256
Stored Hash
45ecd3ca3695846f6402babf2929715893fab760c37801aa2653aacea3de57bf
Computed Hash
45ecd3ca3695846f6402babf2929715893fab760c37801aa2653aacea3de57bf
Normalizer
ggnorm 1.0
Observed
2026-02-08 18:43:19
Source URL
Verified Text
lampertheim, a town in the grand-duchy of hesse-darmstadt, 8 m. n. from mannheim by the railway to frankfort-on-main via biblis, and at the junction of lines to worms and weinheim. it contains a roman catholic church and a fine evangelical church, and has chemical and cigar factories. pop. (1900) 8020. lampeter (_llanbedr-pont-stephan_), a market town, municipal borough and assize town of cardiganshire, wales, on the right bank of the teifi, here crossed by an ancient stone bridge. pop. (1901) 1722. lampeter is a station on the so-called manchester-and-milford branch line of the great western railway. though of ancient origin, the town is entirely modern in appearance, its most conspicuous object being the gothic buildings of st david's college, founded in 1822, which cover a large area and contain a valuable library of english, welsh and foreign works (see universities). the modernized parish church of st peter, or pedr, contains some old monuments of the lloyd family. north of the town are the park and mansion of falcondale, the seat of the harford family. the name of llanbedr-pont-stephan goes to prove the early foundation of the place by st pedr, a celtic missionary of the 6th century, while one stephen was the original builder of the bridge over the teifi. as an important outpost in the upper valley of the teifi, lampeter possessed a castle, which was demolished by owen gwynedd in the 12th century. in 1188 the town was visited by archbishop baldwin on his way from cardigan to strata-florida abbey, and the crusade was vigorously preached at this spot. lampeter was first incorporated under edward ii., but the earliest known charter dates from the reign of henry vi., whereby the principal officer of the town, a portreeve, was to be appointed annually at the court-leet of the manor. the town was subsequently governed under a confirmatory charter of 1814, but in 1884 a new charter was obtained, whereby the corporation was empowered to consist of a mayor, 4 aldermen and 12 councillors. although only a small agricultural centre, lampeter has since 1886 become the assize town of cardiganshire owing to its convenient position. until the redistribution act of 1885 lampeter formed one of the group of boroughs comprising the cardigan parliamentary district.