GoGuides Verified Text

GRAFTON

SHA-256 integrity check: match
Source
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911) / britannica_1911
License
public_domain
Chunk ID
1911:grafton:50938717fdb5
Section
Hash Algorithm
sha256
Stored Hash
a35c627a4088af5a414b3f869fb4e6f1efcb7f3d532c7cf2b296b660efe18836
Computed Hash
a35c627a4088af5a414b3f869fb4e6f1efcb7f3d532c7cf2b296b660efe18836
Normalizer
ggnorm 1.0
Observed
2026-02-08 18:42:58
Source URL

Verified Text

grafton, a township in the s.e. part of worcester county, massachusetts, u.s.a. pop. (1905) 5052; (1910) 5705. it is served by the new york, new haven & hartford, and the boston & albany railways, and by interurban electric lines. the township contains several villages (including grafton, north grafton, saundersville, fisherville and farnumsville); the principal village, grafton, is about 7 m. s.e. of worcester. the villages are residential suburbs of worcester, and attract many summer residents. in the village of grafton there is a public library. there is ample water power from the blackstone river and its tributaries, and among the manufactures of grafton are cotton-goods, boots and shoes, &c. within what is now grafton stood the nipmuck indian village of hassanamesit. john eliot, the "apostle to the indians," visited it soon after 1651, and organized the third of his bands of "praying indians" there; in 1671 he established a church for them, the second of the kind in new england, and also a school. in 1654 the massachusetts general court granted to the indians, for their exclusive use, a tract of about 4 sq. m., of which they remained the sole proprietors until 1718, when they sold a small farm to elisha johnson, the first permanent white settler in the neighbourhood. in 1728 a group of residents of marlboro, sudbury, concord and stowe, with the permission of the general court, bought from the indians 7500 acres of their lands, and agreed to establish forty english families on the tract within three years, and to maintain a church and school of which the indians should have free use. the township was incorporated in 1735, and was named in honour of the 2nd duke of grafton. the last of the pure-blooded indians died about 1825.