GoGuides Verified Text
GLATIGNY
SHA-256 integrity check: match
Source
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911) / britannica_1911
License
public_domain
Chunk ID
1911:glatigny:e2802244f19e
Section
Hash Algorithm
sha256
Stored Hash
d465cbfabeb0c011554d5b74a227759baae86d4ae334864865288ae2cbfb0933
Computed Hash
d465cbfabeb0c011554d5b74a227759baae86d4ae334864865288ae2cbfb0933
Normalizer
ggnorm 1.0
Observed
2026-02-08 18:43:02
Source URL
Verified Text
glatigny, joseph albert alexandre (1830-1873), french poet, was born at lillebonne (seine inferieure) on the 21st of may 1839. his father, who was a carpenter and afterwards a gendarme, removed in 1844 to bernay, where albert received an elementary education. soon after leaving school he was apprenticed to a printer at pont audemer, where he produced a three-act play at the local theatre. he then joined a travelling company of actors to whom he acted as prompter. inspired primarily by the study of theodore de banville, he published his _vignes folles_ in 1857; his best collection of lyrics, _les fleches d'or_, appeared in 1864; and a third volume, _gilles et pasquins_, in 1872. after glatigny settled in paris he improvised at cafe concerts and wrote several one-act plays. on an expedition to corsica with a travelling company he was on one occasion arrested and put in irons for a week through being mistaken by the police for a notorious criminal. his marriage with emma dennie brought him great happiness, but the hardships of his life weakened his health and he died at sevres on the 16th of april 1873. see catulle mendes, _legende du parnasse contemporain_ (1884), and _glatigny, drame funambulesque_ (1906). glatz (slav. _kladsko_), a fortified town of germany, in the prussian province of silesia, in a narrow valley on the left bank of the neisse, not far from the austrian frontier, 58 m. s.w. from breslau by rail. pop. (1905) 16,051. the town with its narrow streets winds up the fortified hill which is crowned by the old citadel. across the river, on the schaferberg, lies a more modern fortress built by the prussians about 1750. before the town on both banks of the river there is a fortified camp by which bombardment from the neighbouring heights can be hindered and which affords accommodation for 10,000 men. the inner ceinture of walls was razed in 1891 and their site is now occupied by new streets. there are a lutheran and two roman catholic churches, one of which, the parish church, contains the monuments of seven silesian dukes. among the other buildings the principal are the royal catholic gymnasium and the military hospital. the industries include machine shops, breweries, and the manufacture of spirits, linen, damask, cloth, hosiery, beads and leather. glatz existed as early as the 10th century, and received german settlers about 1250. it was besieged several times during the thirty years' war and during the seven years' war and came into the possession of prussia in 1742. in 1821 and 1883 great devastation was caused here by floods. the county of glatz was long contended for by the kingdoms of poland and of bohemia. eventually it became part of the latter country, and in 1534 was sold to the house of habsburg, from whom it was taken by frederick the great during his attack on silesia. see ludwig, _die grafschaft glatz in wort und bild_ (breslau, 1897); kutzen, _die grafschaft glatz_ (glogau, 1873); and _geschichtsquellen der grafschaft glatz_, edited by f. volkmer and hohaus (1883-1891).