GoGuides Verified Text

GENEVA

SHA-256 integrity check: match
Source
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911) / britannica_1911
License
public_domain
Chunk ID
1911:geneva:12a5456ef3de
Section
Hash Algorithm
sha256
Stored Hash
0f8d9814881c87a8cd01b137388f97e1dee455fd00bc2c147fb2f3c5c9989abf
Computed Hash
0f8d9814881c87a8cd01b137388f97e1dee455fd00bc2c147fb2f3c5c9989abf
Normalizer
ggnorm 1.0
Observed
2026-02-08 18:42:55
Source URL

Verified Text

geneva, a city of ontario county, new york, u.s.a., at the n. end of seneca lake, about 52 m. s.e. of rochester. pop. (1890) 7557; (1900) 10,433 (of whom 1916 were foreign-born); (1910 census) 12,446. it is served by the new york central & hudson river, and the lehigh valley railways, and by the cayuga & seneca canal. it is an attractively built city, and has good mineral springs. malt, tinware, flour and grist-mill products, boilers, stoves and ranges, optical supplies, wall-paper, cereals, canned goods, cutlery, tin cans and wagons are manufactured, and there are also extensive nurseries. the total value of the factory product in 1905 was $4,951,964, an increase of 82.3% since 1900. geneva has a public library, a city hospital and hygienic institute. it is the seat of the new york state agricultural experiment station and of hobart college (non-sectarian), which was first planned in 1812, was founded in 1822 (the majority of its incorporators being members of the protestant episcopal church) as successor to geneva academy, received a full charter as geneva college in 1825, and was renamed hobart free college in 1852 and hobart college in 1860, in honour of bishop john henry hobart. the college had in 1908-1909 107 students, 21 instructors, and a library of 50,000 volumes and 15,000 pamphlets. a co-ordinate woman's college, the william smith school for women, opened in 1908, was endowed in 1906 by william smith of geneva, who at the same time provided for a hall of science and for further instruction in science, especially in biology and psychology. in 1888 the smith observatory was built at geneva, being maintained by william smith, and placed in charge of dr william robert brooks, professor of astronomy in hobart college. the municipality owns its water-supply system. geneva was first settled about 1787 almost on the site of the indian village of kanadasega, which was destroyed in 1779 during gen. john sullivan's expedition against the indians in western new york. it was chartered as a city in 1898. geneva (fr. _geneve_, ger. _genf_, ital. _ginevra_, late lat. _gebenna_, though _genava_ in good latin), a city and canton of switzerland, situated at the extreme south-west corner both of the country and of the lake of geneva or lake leman. the canton is, save zug, the smallest in the swiss confederation, while the city, long the most populous in the land, is now surpassed by zurich and by basel. the canton. the canton has an area of 108.9 sq. m., of which 88.5 sq. m. are classed as "productive" (forests covering 9.9 sq. m. and vineyards 6.8 sq. m., the rest being cultivated land). of the "unproductive" 20.3 sq. m., 111⁄2 are accounted for by that portion of the lake of geneva which belongs to the canton. it is entirely surrounded by french territory (the department of haute savoie lying to the south, and that of the ain to the west and the north), save for about 31⁄2 m. on the extreme north, where it borders on the swiss canton of vaud. the rhone flows through it from east to west, and then along its south-west edge, the total length of the river in or within the canton being about 13 m., as it is very sinuous. the turbid arve is by far its largest tributary (left), and flows from the snows of the chain of mont blanc, the only other affluent of any size being the london (right). market gardens, orchards, and vineyards occupy a large proportion of the soil (outside the city), the apparent fertility of which is largely due to the unremitting industry of the inhabitants. in 1901 there were 6586 cows, 3881 horses, 2468 swine and 2048 bee-hives in the canton. besides building materials, such as sandstone, slate, &c., the only mineral to be found within the canton is bituminous shale, the products of which can be used for petroleum and asphalt. the broad-gauge railways in the canton have a length of 183⁄4 m., and include bits of the main lines towards paris and lausanne (for bern or the simplon), while there are also 723⁄4 m. of electric tramways. the canton was admitted into the swiss confederation in 1815 only, and ranks as the junior of the 22 cantons. in 1815-1816 it was created by adding to the old territory belonging to the city (just around it, with the outlying districts of jussy, genthod, satigny and cartigny) 16 communes (to the south and east, including carouge and chene) ceded by savoy, and 6 communes (to the north, including versoix), cut off from the french district of gex. statistics of canton and city. in 1900 there were, not counting the city, 27,813 inhabitants in the canton, or, including the city, 132,609, the city alone having thus a population of 104,796. (in the following statistics those for the city are enclosed within brackets.) in 1900 this population was thus divided in point of religion: romanists, 67,162 (49,965), protestants, 62,400 (52,121), and jews 1119 (1081). in point of language 109,741 (84,259) were french-speaking, 13,343 (12,004) german-speaking, and 7345 (6574) italian-speaking, while there were also 89 (76) romonsch-speaking persons. more remarkable are the results as to nationality: 43,550 (31,607) were genevese citizens, and 36,415 (30,582) swiss citizens of other cantons. of the 52,644 (42,607) foreigners, there were 34,277 (26,018) french, 10,211 (9126) italians, 4653 (4283) subjects of the german empire, 583 (468) british subjects, 832 (777) russians, and 285 (251) citizens of the united states of america. in the canton there were 10,821 (5683) inhabited houses, while the number of separate households was 35,450 (28,621). two points as to these statistics deserve to be noted. the number of foreign residents is steadily rising, for in 1900 there were only 79,965 (62,189) swiss in all as against 52,644 (42,607) foreigners. one result of this foreign immigration, particularly from france and italy, has been the rapid increase of romanists, who now form the majority in the canton, while in the city they were still slightly less numerous than the protestants in 1900; later (local) statistics give in the canton 75,400 romanists to 64,200 protestants, and in the city 52,638 romanists to 51,221 protestants. geneva has always been a favourite residence of foreigners, though few can ever have expected to hear that the "protestant rome" has now a romanist majority as regards its inhabitants. galiffe (_geneve hist. et archeolog_.) estimates the population in 1356 at 5800, and in 1404 at 6490, in both cases within the fortifications. in 1536 the old city acquired the outlying districts mentioned above, as well as the suburb of st gervais on the right bank of the rhone, so that in 1545 the number is given as 12,500, reduced by 1572 to 11,000. after the revocation of the edict of nantes (1685) it rose, by 1698, to 16,934. thenceforward the progress was fairly steady: 18,500 (1711); 24,712 (1782); 26,140 (1789). after the creation of the canton (1815) the numbers were (those for the city are enclosed within brackets) 48,489 (25,289), the city rising in 1837 to 33,714, and in 1843 to 36,452. the result of the federal censuses (begun in 1850) are as follows: in 1850, 64,146 (42,127); in 1860, 82,876 (59,826); in 1870, 88,791 (65,606); in 1880, 99,712 (76,197), and in 1888, 105,509 (81,407). government. the canton comprises 3 administrative districts: the 13 communes on the right bank and the 34 on the left bank each form one, while the city proper, on both sides of the river, forms one district and one commune. from 1815 to 1842 the city and the cantonal government was the same. but at that date the city obtained its independence, and is now ruled by a town council of 41 members, and an executive of 5 members, the election in each case being made direct by the citizens, and the term of office being 4 years. the existing cantonal constitution dates, in most of its main features, from 1847. the legislature or _grand conseil_ (now composed of 100 members) is elected (in the proportion of 1 member for every 1000 inhabitants or fraction over 500) for 3 years by a direct popular vote, subject (since 1892) to the principles of proportional representation, while the executive or _conseil d'etat_ (7 members) is elected (no proportional representation) by a popular vote for 3 years. by the latest enactments (one dating from 1905) 2500 citizens can claim a vote ("facultative referendum") as to any legislative project, or can exercise the "right of initiative" as to any such project or as to the revision of the cantonal constitution. the canton sends 2 members (elected by a popular vote) to the federal _standerath_, and 7 to the federal _nationalrath_. religion. the consistory rules the established protestant church, and is now composed of 31 members, 25 being laymen and 6 (formerly 15) clerics, while the "venerable company of pastors" (pastors actually holding cures) has greatly lost its former importance and can now only submit proposals to the consistory. the christian catholic church is also "established" at geneva (since 1873) and is governed by the _conseil superieur_, composed of 25 lay members and 5 clerics. no other religious denominations are "established" at geneva. but the romanists (who form 13% of the electors) are steadily growing in numbers and in influence, while the christian catholics are losing ground rapidly, the highest number of votes received by a candidate for the _conseil superieur_ having fallen from 2003 in 1874 to 806 in 1890 and 507 in 1906, while they are abandoning the country churches (some were lost as early as 1892) which they had taken from the romanists in the course of the _kulturkampf_. industry. the fairs of geneva (held 4 times a year) are mentioned as early as 1262, and attained the height of their prosperity about 1450, but declined after louis xi.'s grants of 1462-1463 in favour of the fairs of lyons. among the chief articles brought to these fairs (which were largely frequented by italian, french and swiss merchants) were cloth, silk, armour, groceries, wine, timber and salt, this last coming mainly from provence. the manufacturers of geneva formed in 1487 no fewer than 38 gilds, including tailors, hatters, mercers, weavers, tanners, saddle-makers, furriers, shoe-makers, painters on glass, &c. goldsmiths are mentioned as early as 1290. printing was introduced in 1478 by steinschaber of schweinfurth, and flourished much in the 16th century, though the rigorous supervision exercised by the consistory greatly hampered the estiennes (stephanus) in their enterprises. nowadays the best known industry at geneva is that of watchmaking, which was introduced in 1587 by charles cusin of autun, and two years later regulations as to the trade were issued. in 1685 there were in geneva 100 master watchmakers, employing 300 work-people, who turned out 5000 pieces a year, while in 1760 this trade employed 4000 work-people. of recent years its prosperity has diminished greatly, so that the watchmaking and jewelry trades in 1902 numbered respectively but 38 and 32 of the 394 establishments in geneva which were subject to the factory laws. lately, huge establishments have been constructed for the utilization of the power contained in the rhone. the local commerce of geneva is much aided by the fact that the city is nearly entirely surrounded by "free zones," in which no customs duties are levied, though the districts are politically french: this privilege was given to gex in 1814, and to the savoyard districts in 1860, when they were also neutralized. celebrities. considering the small size of geneva, till recently, it is surprising how many celebrated persons have been connected with it as natives or as residents. here are a few of the principal, special articles being devoted to many of them in this work. in the 16th century, besides calvin and bonivard, we have isaac casaubon, the scholar; robert and henri estienne, the printers, and, from 1572 to 1574, joseph scaliger himself, though but for a short time. j.j. rousseau is, of course, the great genevese of the 18th century. at that period, and in the 19th century, geneva was a centre of light, especially in the case of various of the physical sciences. among the scientific celebrities were de saussure, the most many-sided of all; de candolle and boissier, the botanists; alphonse favre and necker, the geologists; marignac, the chemist; deluc, the physicist, and plantamour, the astronomer. charles bonnet was both a scientific man and a philosopher, while amiel belonged to the latter class only. pradier and chaponniere, the sculptors; arlaud, diday and calame, the artists; mallet, who revealed scandinavia to the literary world; necker, the minister; sismondi, the historian of the italian republics; general dufour, author of the great survey which bears the name of the "dufour map," have each a niche in the temple of fame. of a less severe type were cherbuliez, the novelist; topffer, who spread a taste for pedestrianism among swiss youth; duchosal, the poet; marc monnier, the litterateur; not to mention the names of any persons still living, or of politicians of any date. the city and its buildings. the city of geneva is situated at the south-western extremity of the beautiful lake of the same name, whence the "arrowy rhone" flows westwards under the seven bridges by which the two halves of the town communicate with each other. to the south is the valley of the arve (descending from the snows of the mont blanc chain), which unites with that of the rhone a little below the town; while behind the arve the grey and barren rocks of the petit saleve rise like a wall, which in turn is overtopped by the distant and ethereal snows of mont blanc. yet the actual site of the town is not as picturesque as that of several other spots in switzerland. though the cathedral crowns the hillock round which clusters the old part of the town, a large portion of the newer town is built on the alluvial flats on either bank of the rhone. since the demolition of the fortifications in 1849 the town has extended in every direction, and particularly on the right bank of the rhone. it possesses many edifices, public and private, which are handsome or elegant, but it has almost nothing to which the memory reverts as a masterpiece of architectural art. it is possible that this is, in part, due to the artistic blight of the calvinism which so long dominated the town. but, while lacking the medieval appearance of fribourg or bern, or sion or coire, the great number of modern fine buildings in geneva, hotels, villas, &c., gives it an air of prosperity and comfort that attracts many visitors, though on others modern french architecture produces a blinding glare. on the other hand, there are broad quays along the river, while public gardens afford grateful shade. the cathedral (protestant) of st pierre is the finest of the older buildings in the city, but is a second-rate building, though as e.a. freeman remarks, "it is an excellent example of a small cathedral of its own style and plan, with unusually little later alteration." the hillock on which it rises was no doubt the site of earlier churches, but the present transitional building dates only from the 12th and 13th centuries, while its portico was built in the 18th century, after the model of the pantheon at rome. it contains a few sepulchral monuments, removed from the cloisters (pulled down in 1721), and a fine modern organ, but the historical old bell _la clemence_ has been replaced by a newer and larger one which bears the same name. more interesting than the church itself is the adjoining chapel of the maccabees, built in the 15th century, and recently restored. near the cathedral are the arsenal (now housing the historical museum, in which are preserved many relics of the "escalade" of 1602, including the famous ladders), and the maison de ville or town hall. the latter building is first mentioned in 1448, but most of the present building dates from far later times, though the quaint paved spiral pathway (taking the place of a staircase in the interior) was made in the middle of the 16th century. in the _salle du conseil d'etat_ some curious 15th-century frescoes have lately been discovered, while the old salle des festins is now known as the salle de l'alabama, in memory of the arbitration tribunal of 1872. in the 15th-century tour baudet, adjoining the town hall, are preserved the rich archives of the city. not far away is the palais de justice, built in 1709 as a hospital, but used as a court house since 1858. on the ile in the rhone stands the tower (built c. 1219) of the old castle belonging to the bishop. among the modern buildings we may mention the following: the university (founded in 1559, but raised to the rank of a university in 1873 only), the athenee, the conservatoire de musique, the victoria hall (a concert hall, presented in 1904 to the city by mr barton, formerly h.b.m.'s consul), the theatre, the salle de la reformation (for religious lectures and popular concerts), the batiment electoral, the russian church and the new post office. at present the museums of various kinds at geneva are widely dispersed, but a huge new building in course of construction (1906) will ultimately house most of them. the musee rath contains pictures and sculptures; the musee fol, antiquities of various dates; the musee des arts decoratifs, _inter alia_, a fine collection of prints; the musee industriel, industrial objects and models; the musee archeologique, prehistoric and archaeological remains; the musee d'histoire naturelle, scientific collections; and the musee epigraphique, a considerable number of inscriptions. some way out of the town is the musee ariana (extensive art collections), left, with a fine park, in 1890 to the city by a rich citizen, gustave revilliod. the public library is in the university buildings and contains many valuable mss. and printed books. geneva boasts also of a fine observatory and of a number of technical schools (watchmaking, chemistry, medicine, commerce, fine arts, &c.), some of which are really annexes of the university, which in june 1906 was attended by 1158 matriculated students, of whom 903 were non-swiss, the russians (475 in number) forming the majority of the foreign students. geneva is well supplied with charitable institutions, hospitals, &c. among other remarkable sights of the city may be mentioned the great hydraulic establishment (built 1882-1899) of the _forces motrices du rhone_ (turbines), the singular monument set up to the memory of the late duke of brunswick who left his fortune to the city in 1873, and the ile jean-jacques rousseau now connected with the pont des bergues. the house occupied by rousseau is no. 40 in the grand' rue, while no. 13 in the same street is on the site of calvin's house, though not the actual dwelling inhabited by him. history. the real name of the city is _genava_, that being the form under which it appears in almost all the known documents up to the 7th century,