GoGuides Verified Text
FREMONT
SHA-256 integrity check: match
Source
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911) / britannica_1911
License
public_domain
Chunk ID
1911:fremont:c299502d76a5
Section
Hash Algorithm
sha256
Stored Hash
a12dd0702258a7c2c76cc97b3aa55393fc3214ef0fd1effb373bc3706a39034e
Computed Hash
a12dd0702258a7c2c76cc97b3aa55393fc3214ef0fd1effb373bc3706a39034e
Normalizer
ggnorm 1.0
Observed
2026-02-08 18:42:57
Source URL
Verified Text
fremont, a city and the county-seat of sandusky county, ohio, u.s.a., on the sandusky river, 30 m. s.e. of toledo. pop. (1890) 7141; (1900) 8439, of whom 1074 were foreign-born; (1910 census) 9939. fremont is served by the lake shore & michigan southern, the lake shore electric, the lake erie & western, and the wheeling & lake erie railways. the river is navigable to this point. spiegel grove, the former residence of rutherford b. hayes, is of interest, and the city has a public library (1873) and parks, in large measure the gifts of his uncle, sardis birchard. fremont is situated in a good agricultural region; oil and natural gas abound in the vicinity; and the city has various manufactures, including boilers, electro-carbons, cutlery, bricks, agricultural implements, stoves and ranges, safety razors, carriage irons, sash, doors, blinds, furniture, beet sugar, canned vegetables, malt extract, garters and suspenders. the total factory product was valued at $2,833,385 in 1905, an increase of 23.4% over that of 1900. fremont is on the site of a favourite abode of the indians, and a trading post was at times maintained here; but the place is best known in history as the site of fort stephenson, erected during the war of 1812, and on the 2nd of august 1813 gallantly and successfully defended by major george croghan (1791-1849), with 160 men, against about 1000 british and indians under brigadier-general henry a. proctor. in 1906 croghan's remains were re-interred on the site of the old fort. until 1849, when the present name was adopted in honour of j. c. fremont, the place was known as lower sandusky; it was incorporated as a village in 1829 and was first chartered as a city in 1867.