GoGuides Verified Text

FRAUENFELD

SHA-256 integrity check: match
Source
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911) / britannica_1911
License
public_domain
Chunk ID
1911:frauenfeld:601faf6a350d
Section
Hash Algorithm
sha256
Stored Hash
b74b16c577d4f7aef100ce22e0d3aa8b35a33758ce1ed0e5ecd75727c6ab6f75
Computed Hash
b74b16c577d4f7aef100ce22e0d3aa8b35a33758ce1ed0e5ecd75727c6ab6f75
Normalizer
ggnorm 1.0
Observed
2026-02-08 18:42:57
Source URL

Verified Text

frauenfeld, the capital of the swiss canton of thurgau, 27 m. by rail n.e. of zuerich or 141/2 m. w. of romanshorn. it is built on the murg stream a little above its junction with the thur. it is a prosperous commercial town, being situated at the meeting point of several routes, while it possesses several industrial establishments, chiefly concerned with different branches of the iron trade. in 1900 its population (including the neighbouring villages) was 7761, mainly german-speaking, while there were 5563 protestants to 2188 romanists. frauenfeld is the artillery depot for north-east switzerland. the upper town is the older part, and centres round the castle, of which the tower dates from the 10th century, though the rest is of a later period. both stood on land belonging to the abbot of reichenau, who, with the count of kyburg, founded the town, which is first mentioned in 1255. the abbot retained all manorial rights till 1803, while the political powers of the kyburgers (who were the "protectors" of reichenau) passed to the habsburgs in 1273, and were seized by the swiss in 1460 with the rest of the thurgau. in 1712 the town succeeded baden in aargau as the meeting-place of the federal diet, and continued to be the capital of the confederation till its transformation in 1798. in 1799 it was successively occupied by the austrians and the french. the old capuchin convent (1591-1848) is now occupied as a vicarage by the romanist priest. (w. a. b. c.)