GoGuides Verified Text
EKATERINOSLAV
SHA-256 integrity check: match
Source
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911) / britannica_1911
License
public_domain
Chunk ID
1911:ekaterinoslav:c2c43f30c0a5
Section
Hash Algorithm
sha256
Stored Hash
9dcaa8f852a9b38ea9ae97190695c74e58e141d92d7fc5b4b58969278b2d8765
Computed Hash
9dcaa8f852a9b38ea9ae97190695c74e58e141d92d7fc5b4b58969278b2d8765
Normalizer
ggnorm 1.0
Observed
2026-02-08 18:42:47
Source URL
Verified Text
ekaterinoslav, a town of russia, capital of the government of the same name, on the right bank of the dnieper above the rapids, 673 m. by rail s.s.w. of moscow, in 48 deg. 21' n. and 35 deg. 4' e., at an altitude of 210 ft. pop. (1861) 18,881, without suburbs; (1900) 135,552. if the suburb of novyikoindak be included, the town extends for upwards of 4 m. along the river. the oldest part lies very low and is much exposed to floods. contiguous to the towns on the n.w. is the royal village of novyimaidani or the new factories. the bishop's palace, mining academy, archaeological museum and library are the principal public buildings. the house now occupied by the nobles club was formerly inhabited by the author and statesman potemkin. ekaterinoslav is a rapidly growing city, with a number of technical schools, and is an important depot for timber floated down the dnieper, and also for cereals. its iron-works, flour-mills and agricultural machinery works give occupation to over 5000 persons. in fact since 1895 the city has become the centre of numerous franco-belgian industrial undertakings. in addition to the branches just mentioned, there are tobacco factories and breweries. considerable trade is carried on in cattle, cereals, horses and wool, there being three annual fairs. on the site of the city there formerly stood the polish castle of koindak, built in 1635, and destroyed by the cossacks. the existing city was founded by potemkin in 1786, and in the following year catherine ii. laid the foundation-stone of the cathedral, though it was not actually built until 1830-1835. on the south side of it is a bronze statue of the empress, put up in 1846. paul i. changed the name of the city to novo-rossiysk, but the original name was restored in 1802.