GoGuides Verified Text

CREDITON

SHA-256 integrity check: match
Source
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911) / britannica_1911
License
public_domain
Chunk ID
1911:crediton:19291a48e3d3
Section
Hash Algorithm
sha256
Stored Hash
3da7aa715cc0af27596af32f061dc39be319eb3b33b57c813c2bf9d7f1f49568
Computed Hash
3da7aa715cc0af27596af32f061dc39be319eb3b33b57c813c2bf9d7f1f49568
Normalizer
ggnorm 1.0
Observed
2026-02-08 18:42:29
Source URL

Verified Text

crediton, a market town in the south molton parliamentary division of devonshire, england, 8 m. n.w. of exeter by the london & south-western railway. pop. of urban district (1901) 3974. it is situated in the narrow vale of the river creedy near its junction with the exe, between two steep hills, and is divided into two parts, the east or old town and the west or new town. the church of holy cross, formerly collegiate, is a noble perpendicular building with early english and other early portions, and a fine central tower. the grammar school, founded by edward vi. and refounded by elizabeth, has exhibitions to oxford and cambridge universities. shoe-making, tanning, agricultural trade, tin-plating, and the manufacture of confectionery and cider have superseded the former large woollen and serge industries. in 1897 crediton was made the seat of a suffragan bishopric in the diocese of exeter. the first indication of settlement at crediton (_credington_, _cryditon_, _kirton_) is the tradition that winfrith or boniface was born there in 680. perhaps in his memory (for the great extent of the parish shows that it was thinly populated) it became in 909 the seat of the first bishopric in devonshire. it was probably only a village in 1049, when leofric, bishop of crediton, requested leo ix. to transfer the see to exeter, as crediton was "an open town and much exposed to the incursions of pirates." at the domesday survey much of the land was still uncultivated, but its prosperity increased, and in 1269 each of the twelve prebends of the collegiate church had a house and farmland within the parish. the bishops, to whom the manor belonged until the reformation, had difficulty in enforcing their warren and other rights; in 1351 bishop grandison obtained an exemplification of judgments of 1282 declaring that he had pleas of withernam, view of frank pledge, the gallows and assize of bread and ale. two years later there was a serious riot against the increase of copyhold. perhaps it was at this time that the prescriptive borough of crediton arose. the jury of the borough are mentioned in 1275, and crediton returned two members to parliament in 1306-1307, though never afterwards represented. a borough seal dated 1469 is extant, but the corporation is not mentioned in the grant made by edward vi. of the church to twelve principal inhabitants. the borough and manor were granted by elizabeth to william killigrew in 1595, but there is no indication of town organization then or in 1630, and in the 18th century crediton was governed by commissioners. in 1231 the bishop obtained a fair, still held, on the vigil, feast and morrow of st lawrence. this was important as the wool trade was established by 1249 and certainly continued until 1630, when the market for kersies is mentioned in conjunction with a saying "as fine as kirton spinning." see rev. preb. smith, "early history of credition," in _devonshire association for the advancement of science, literature and art, transactions_, vol. xiv. (plymouth, 1882); richard j. king, "the church of st mary and of the holy cross, credition," in _exeter diocesan architectural society, transactions_, vol. iv. (exeter, 1878).