GoGuides Verified Text

AVEIRO

SHA-256 integrity check: match
Source
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911) / britannica_1911
License
public_domain
Chunk ID
1911:aveiro:958178a6a4cc
Section
Hash Algorithm
sha256
Stored Hash
4dc5e039b1fb8a6a617c1af87f6a7b2aaf84f74850c886aa3cab102b38e71142
Computed Hash
4dc5e039b1fb8a6a617c1af87f6a7b2aaf84f74850c886aa3cab102b38e71142
Normalizer
ggnorm 1.0
Observed
2026-02-08 18:42:21
Source URL

Verified Text

aveiro, a seaport, episcopal see, and the capital of an administrative district, formerly included in the province of beira, portugal; on the river vouga, and the lisbon-oporto railway. pop. (1900) 9979. aveiro is built on the southern shore of a marshy lagoon, containing many small islands, and measuring about 15 m. from north to south, with an average breadth of about 1 m. the barra nova, an artificial canal about 33 ft. deep, was constructed between 1801 and 1808, and gives access to the atlantic ocean. the local industries include the preparation of sea-salt, the catching and curing of fish, especially sardines and oysters, and the gathering of aquatic plants (_molico_). there is also a brisk trade in wine, oil and fruit; while the aveiro district contains copper and lead mines, besides much good pasture-land. aveiro is probably the roman talabriga. in the 16th century it was the birthplace of joao affonso, one of the first navigators to visit the fishing-grounds of newfoundland; and it soon became famous for its fleet of more than sixty vessels, which sailed yearly to that country, and returned laden with dried codfish. during the same century the cathedral was built, and the city was made a duchy. the title "duke of aveiro" became extinct when its last holder, dom jose mascarenhas e lancaster, was burned alive for high treason, in 1759. the administrative district of aveiro coincides with the north-western part of the province of beira; pop. (1900) 303,169; area, 1065 sq. m. avella (anc. _abella_), a city of campania, italy, in the province of avellino, 23 m. n.e. of naples by rail. pop. (1901) 4107. it is finely situated in fertile territory and its nuts (_nuces abellanae_) and fruit were renowned in roman days. about 2 m. to the north-east lies avella vecchia, the ancient abella, regarded [v.03 p.0053] by the ancients as a chalcidian colony. an important oscan inscription relates to a treaty with nola, regarding a joint temple of hercules, attributable to the 2nd century b.c. under the early empire it had already become a colony and had perhaps been one since the time of sulla. it has remains of the walls of the citadel and of an amphitheatre, and lay on the road from nola to abellinum, which was here perhaps joined by a branch from suessula. see j. beloch, _campanien_ (2nd ed., breslau, 1890), 411 seq. (t. as.)